Sunday, May 23, 2010

52 projects #18 - Pom Poms

52_proj_badge_v2

For this week I'd been practicing pom poms.  I thought they will be easy, but I encountered a few glitches.  I'd been using leftover yarn because I don't want to mess up the one that I want to use for 2 projects that I have in mind.  The first one I want to make some barrettes for my daughter/ nieces and their dolls!  The second one  - I want to do a wreath that I saw made of pom poms and then you can add some other touches.  They are so beautiful.
So, can anyone give me some tips?  How to make sure they are perfect all around?  I was using a pom pom maker, but they were coming loose.  Do I need a different or specific type of thread to tighten them?   Here is a picture of what I have in mind.  I might change it a bit , but the pom poms are still there :)

http://bleubirdvintage.typepad.com/blog/2009/11/diy-pom-pom-wreath.html

Here are my best pom poms so far...

4 comments:

Evelyn said...

Very cool Erika. I used to make pom-poms. Back then there were no such tool instead I used a cardboard. I would make two circle (a big one and a smaller one with the big one). It looks like a donut. After cutting it out, I would then take my yarn and feed it through the donut and wrap it around the donut and repeat the process until I could no long feed the yarn though the hole. Now ready to cut the yarn at the outer ring of the donut. Come back with a piece of yarn and tie it at the center of the donut. Make sure it's really tight. Pull it out of the cardboard donut and fluff it. There's your pom poms. Hope this helps.

Alisha said...

haha..so cute!

Jane said...

I think your pom poms look great! I gave my hand at some a while back to incorporate in to some knitting. I do know what you mean though...I found it a tad bit challenging at times. I think they sell pom pom makers at most craft stores. I think I had them too but found them tricky to wind the yarn around. I use a small piece of rectangular cardboard and wrap the yarn around that.

brandi said...

~adorable pom poms!! she is ever so sweet...warm wishes and brightest blessings~