Saturday, October 10, 2009

How to compete with China?

A while back I found etsy.com (a site that sells handmade + artsy+vintage stuff). I always wondered if something that you made will sell, and I found myself wanting to buy some of those things so I guess I am proof that that happens. Also, I had friends telling me why you don't try to sell stuff - to have my own etsy store, and although I have not reached that point (of actually trying) I had wondered how you can compete with the big boxes stores? specially when most of the stuff is made in China (and of course for very cheap).
Why I am thinking this? Well, because I went to Target a few days ago and saw an idea that I had in mind for a stuff animal that I had not seen before (well, similar idea). The cost of it? 15dls.
If I would do it myself after buying fabric, threads, etc... I would have to sell for 20-25 dls to make it worth it. So, we come back to this question. Will someone buy it? or just go to Target and buy it for less?
I know it will depend if someone had the money to spend it, if someone wanted something more unique, if someone wanted to help small entrepreneurs, but can you still compete with China? What do you think?

3 comments:

Ron Nelson said...

The short answer? You can't compete with China. But all is not lost. I put a write-up on my blog:

http://sybarite.us/puertorico/2009/10/10/local-manufacture/

Ron Nelson said...

For something of this scale, I would say go ahead and move forward. The costs are very low to try, and at the worst it becomes a paying hobby. Not a lot to lose.

Ann said...

I agree with Ron. You can't compete with China on a large scale, but that's not the point of etsy. The people who shop on that site are not the type to shop for this kind of stuff at a big box store, anyway. It's a different market. People go to etsy FOR handmade, not for factory made.