Monday, May 25, 2009

Flowers...

I want to start this blog entry by thanking my mom for helping me in the garden (planting, cleaning, etc...) it goes without saying that it is easier when there is more than one person doing it :)


Here is a shot of the new foxglove (we bought two) and I read that hummingbirds and butterflies love them (as well as bees).

We bought two roses (plus one vine), but I had not really taken a picture of this pink one. Supposedly it is called Chicago (although the color does not match the one that came with the bucket, it was supposed to be more in the orange/yellow/pinkish range) anyway, I still think it is very pretty.

A picture of our Japanese maple. I love how the leaves look ( we have two now!)

I am not sure the name of these beautiful flowers, I read or heard somewhere that they are called Snowballs, but I am not sure and I don't know their scientific name either, but they are pretty!

Here is one tulip that I almost missed taking a picture, it is already dying so maybe it is not as beautiful as it would have been when it first opened, but you can still see how wonderful the colors are.

Last year, I planted another bleeding heart, and wished for the best... well, here it is!

This is a picture of a new Robin's nest almost above to where we put the chairs to lounge in the backyard. I don't think they have eggs yet since the robins had not done anything to kick us out of our yard. I should charge them rent!

I planted this plant almost 3 yrs ago (when we first moved to the house) then it disappeared so I thought it had died, and now it surprised me with these tiny flowers. I did not know that it would have some.

From the bulb that I bought a Holland, MI, and I put last September! It gave us our first peony!

Our clematis is opening the first three flowers from 15 buds that I see... I'll try to take a better picture when they are fully opened!

I guess Mike and Ann have a flower in common, the lupines. After I was talking to Ann about what flowers will be nice to plant, she said she liked the lupines. I told her I thought they were only annuals, and I was looking for perennials. Later that week, we went to a new place -Graff Gardens - in Southwest Highway- nice stuff, although a lot of it a bit more expensive than other places. Mike found this thing and said that is cool ( I forgot how the lupines looked). I said picked what you want, he picked three then I found out these were the lupines. We bought a pink, purple, and yellow. In the picture below, it is still blooming, it started from the bottom!

Here are our irises -I think these are the dutch irises. Too bad they only flower about this time and only once a year, but while they do, they have a wonderful purple color.

This is my new hydrangea (the original). I thought they were pink flowers, although right now they look more like a white / light blue... I'll see if it changes later.

1 comment:

Ann said...

LUPINES!!

I love them because of a great Monty Python sketch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbtVaTWs6II