Sunday, April 4, 2010

52 Projects #11 - Middle Eastern Spicy Chicken Shawarma and Rice Krispies Squares.

52_proj_badge_v2

 I wanted to try to cook something that I had not done before.  We always try different cuisines, and although we had gone to Middle Eastern restaurants I don't remember ever eating Tahini before so I found this recipe in one of my magazines ( Cooking Light) and decided to make it a project!


Spicy Chicken Shawarma Ingredients:

2 tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley 
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1/8 tsp ground coriander
5 tbsp plain low fat Greek style yogurt, divided
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice, divided
3 garlic cloves, minced and divided
1b skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, thinly sliced
2 tbsp EVOO
1 tbsp TAHINI
4 (6 in. ) pitas, halved
1/2 cup chopped cucumber and plum tomato and pre-chopped red onions!

1.  Combine the first 6 ingredients with 1 tbsp yogurt, 1 tbsp lemon juice, and 2 garlic cloves.

2.  Add chicken; toss to coat.
3. Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat.  Add chicken mixture and saute for 6 mins. or until browned.
4.  While chicken cooks - Combine remaining yogurt with the rest of the lemon juice, garlic clove, and TAHINI.  Stir well.
I found out that this brand is really good!
5.  Spread the mixture in your pitas equally. 
6.  Fill each pita with the chicken, cucumber, tomatoes and onion.  Decorate with some grapes or more of the veggies!
And for dessert I made Rice Krispies  with Mike.  I had never done squares, he has.  :)

I could not believe how easy they were. I am sure most of you know how, but here are some pictures of ours.


Not very flat, but they were very tasty :)  We need to work on that part.

12 comments:

Ron Nelson said...

Wow, the pitas look really good!

You can used waxed paper to help tamp down the Rice Krispie treat ... of course, the taste is not affected. :-)

Evelyn said...

Now you're making me hungry...seeing the pictures I'm encouraged to make some. Hmmm, well, when I have some time, I will. Thanks for sharing.

Michael Nelson said...

Erika makes shawarma and I make Rice Krispy treats. Yeah, that sounds about right. :)

Diana said...

Oh yummy! Thank you for the recipe idea. I love Krinos tahini!

Annie Z said...

The Shawarma looks amazing and really simple! MMm.. May have to take your advice with that one!

dreamer said...

looks delicious :)

MrB said...

That looks yummy!

Anonymous said...

yummy, yummy! i love rice crispies.

Jane said...

I love tahini so much and Krinos is the brand I buy. Your meal looks so delicious and how nice to make the treats with Mike!

K A B L O O E Y said...

I love it, a healthy dinner and then a sweet treat. First time making rice krispies treats? That's great...

brandi said...

~your pitas look to die for yummy...way to go at trying something new...its always exciting especially if you enjoy actually eating it in the end! wishing you well and brightest blessings~

Killara girl said...

oh that looks yummy, i make the falafel balls with the tomato & cucumber & hummus, but can't say i've tried chicken, i must note it and try it out. my dh is the king of krispies, he always makes the for the class birthdays.