Friday, October 16, 2009

A bit of gripping...

As many of you know, I have been going to the dentist for the last 4 months, although it feels more like an eternity by now. I always had troubled with teeth. I guess I did not get the best genes in that regards. I tried to do all the things that I can - brushing, flossing, listerine, etc..I mean I still have most of my teeth, and I'd been able to save some by doing a root canal and crown. But, I don't recall the last time I had so many issues at once. The funny (if I can call it that) thing is that before Ari, I went to the dentist and I had one cavity. That was it. Almost two years later, 4 teeth need serious work and thanks to a wisdom tooth, two teeth are out (the wisdom tooth and the tooth next to it). So, hopefully I am at the end of this not so nice road and the last crowns will go in, and the pain from the extractions as well. But, that is not what I am gripping about. That is life, and I know that the pain will be gone eventually one way or another :) My gripping is about dental insurance.
I had used the dental insurance in the past, especially for a tooth cleaning, but not much than that. Did not need to. But, this year I went over the amount they can pay. So, we had to pay out of packet quite a bit. I guess I could have gone to Mexico and get a trip + dental stuff and maybe be the same as here. It is ridicule the costs for dental issues. Not that insurances care about that. Why they don't see that I did not need to use the insurance for a long time and now that I did cover some more? or just be fair to the amount that they will give you per year taking into account the amount of teeth that we have and how much it costs to save each of them. So, now that I have 2 teeth gone, I need to consider to put an implant. Not so much for cosmetic purposes, thank God they are in the back. But, to avoid my jaw line to be affected. Does insurance cover that? Nope. Out of pocket if I want it. So, there goes my end of gripping. Something needs to be changed to medical and dental benefits, and that is considering that I am lucky to have insurance in the beginning :( how about the poor souls that cannot get some?!

2 comments:

Evelyn said...

I agree. Something has to be done. Like I stated in my journal there needs to be an overhaul. People should know what the cost is for what service and what percentage of the cost is the insurance paying before receiving the service ( http://sybarite13.livejournal.com/32825.html )

It's the only industry were people don't know what they are paying prior to service. Furthermore, why don't they have discount for cash payer instead it the other way around. So where's the saving? the quality of service? Not with the patients.

Tiffany said...

With the dentist, at least, disregarding the regular doctors, I did know what the price was before and after insurance. They showed me what the price would be with no insurance and then after my ins. was applied on a detailed invoice. I was still stunned HOW MUCH, with insurance?!? Sometimes they do have a discount for all cash payment, you have to ask.

When I had my root canal issue, with good dental insurance, the first thing that came to my mind was A) THE COST (mind you, WITH insurance) and B) The pain. I was mostly afraid of the cost, and rightly so. Something like that can literally break families (without ins.) or even with! All the more reason to save, save, and save more for those emergencies.

At least once it's all done, you have pain relief and know your teeth are healthy.