Friday, October 23, 2009

Grandma's day + Praline-Apple Bread

We celebrated Grandma's birthday by going to Barraco's (Italian restaurant). We have ordered a lot from there, but it was always to go. This was the first time that we ate in their restaurant. I don't know how common it is, but their menu was different from their delivery/pick up area and so were the prices. A hamburger that we normally order costs 4 dollars, but at the restaurant was 8 dollars? Well, they did come with "normal" french fries, but you can order those for about 2 dollars and the portion is a lot bigger and they are their specialty fries (Italian fries, I think they are called - has olive oil, pepper flakes, and cheese). So, even though the price was different, they still have some good things. Mike's steak with vegetables and mashed potatoes were excellent. He said it was the best steak in awhile. I had the barbecue chicken and it was good although messy :). Ann said that the lobster ravioli was yummy. The salad that Tiffany ordered seemed equally delicious. Grandma and Grandpa ordered the burgers that we know are good. The biggest thing for me was the layout of the restaurant. It was noisy and hard to talk and our table seemed to be in the path from the kitchen to the rest of the tables, so I felt people on top of me quite often. But, for a especial occasion like this is a nice place (just try to ask for a table in the sides -not the middle front). For more often, their delivery/ pick up side is just perfect.
After the restaurant, we went to our house and have some desserts. They brought a chocolate cake, and we had sugar lime cookies, brownies, and a Praline-apple bread. I think everyone was quite full since they were able to eat the cake, but we had lots of leftover. Not that those will go to waste :) Here are some pictures!



The praline- Apple Bread that I made came in my Southern Living Magazine and it was not sweet. It was moist and the toasted pecans added a different taste to it. The glaze is what gave the sweetness to it (butter and brown sugar). It was really easy to make. I forgot to take a picture before I started killing it ;) If you are interested in it, let me know and I will send you the recipe!

1 comment:

Ron Nelson said...

Glad that you had a nice time.

I have pecans falling into my back yard, you could come over with a rake and pick some up if you need them.

(Our neighbor has three pecan trees in the back, but they aren't getting much of a harvest. Two years ago they got 500 pounds!)